The Foundation was founded on 7 April 1995 at the behest of Arnaldo Pomodoro, with the aim of ensuring the correct conservation and information regarding all his works, as well as promoting research and discussion about the most relevant themes and contemporary avant-garde figures.
In 1997 it obtained legal recognition from the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and in 1999 it set up its first exhibition venue.
In more than twenty years of activity, the Foundation has progressively transformed itself, changing exhibition venue according to needs: from 1999 to 2004 it is an old bolts factory in Rozzano, in Milano's hinterland; from 2005 to 2011 it is is one of the workshops of the former Riva&Calzoni steelworks factory in via Solari 35 in Milano; from 2013 it is a space in via Vigevano 9, adjacent to the Studio and the Archive of the sculptor.
The Foundation is a place of knowledge and elaboration dedicated to Arnaldo Pomodoro and, overall, to the practice of sculpture and art: it has a Collection of works by Arnaldo Pomodoro and other artists, available for loans and loans; it handles and manages the artist's Archive, which documents his work and life, and the creation of the Catalogue Raisonné online; performs the practices relating to the control of the works and the release of the authentic, also supervising the correct conservation and restoration of the same; promotes and implements the publication of books and catalogs; organizes exhibitions, events, guided tours and workshops.
The exhibition activity inaugurated in 1999, the Prize established in 2006 and the Educational Department established in 2007 are just some of the initiatives through which the Foundation pursues its objectives.
The Foundation was founded and operates thanks to the will of Arnaldo Pomodoro to create a "House of Sculpture": a place open to rereading Twentieth Century art and the creativity of young artists, a collective vital experience/space for all those who love art.
In particular, the objectives of the Foundation are
- To preserve, enhance and promote the work of Arnaldo Pomodoro and the Foundation’s Collection;
- To encourage historical-critical studies on sculpture and contemporary art, including the publication of books, catalogs and magazine;
- To organize events and meetings in the field of culture, art and literature, also in collaboration with other institutions, both in Italy and abroad;
- To bring the public closer to contemporary art with specific didactic projects, guided tours and interactive workshops, with particular attention also to people with disabilities;
- To support and promote the work of young artists through the creation of a Prize, which identifies relevant figures within the contemporary artistic scene;
- To create a network of contacts with national and international institutions and museums with a view to sharing intentions, mutual support and promotion.
Board of Directors
- Arnaldo Pomodoro, President
- Laura Berra
- Ermanno Casasco
- Bitta Leonetti
- Giò Marconi
- Beatrice Montebello
- Carlotta Montebello
- Luisella Polli
- Teresa Pomodoro
- Luca Massimo Barbero, Director of the Institute of Art History of the Giorgio Cini Foundation and Associate Curator of the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice
- Lorenzo Respi, Head of Production of the FMAV - Fondazione Modena Arti Visive
- Andrea Viliani, General Director of the Donnaregina Foundation for contemporary art/MADRE-museo d’arte contemporanea Donnaregina;